Statement of Belief
(1) The Bible : God has revealed himself in the Bible, which consists of the Old and New Testaments alone. Every word was inspired by God through human authors, so that the Bible as originally given is in its entirety the Word of God, without error and fully reliable in fact and doctrine. The Bible alone speaks with final authority and is sufficient for all matters of belief and practice, for living a life which is pleasing to God.
(2) God : There is one God, who exists eternally in three distinct but equal persons; the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit to whom equal honour is due. He is the Almighty Creator, Saviour and Judge who sustains and governs all things according to His sovereign will.
(3) The Lord Jesus Christ : The Lord Jesus Christ is fully God and fully man. He was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of a virgin, and lived a sinless life in obedience to God the Father. He taught with authority and all his words are true. On the cross he died in the place of sinners, paying God’s just penalty against sin for all those who believe and trust in him, and redeeming them by his blood. He was raised from the dead by the Father and in his resurrection body ascended into heaven, where as exalted Lord he intercedes for his people in the presence of the Father.
(4) The human race : All men and women, being created in the image of God, have inherent and equal dignity and worth. Their greatest purpose is to obey, worship and love God. As a result of the Fall, every aspect of human nature has been corrupted and all men and women are therefore under the just condemnation of God and unable in their own strength to do God’s will. They need to be born again, forgiven and reconciled to God in order to know and please him.
(5) The Holy Spirit : The Holy Spirit has been sent from heaven to glorify Christ and to apply His work of salvation. He convicts sinners, imparts spiritual life and gives a true understanding of the Scriptures. He lives in all believers, brings assurance of salvation and produces increasing likeness to Christ in them.
(6) Salvation : Salvation is entirely a work of God’s grace and cannot be earned or deserved. The only way for a person to have a relationship with God is to confess their sin and believe that when Jesus died on the cross, He paid the penalty for their sin. All who believe in Christ are adopted into the family of God and receive eternal life, which can never be lost. Although only God can finally judge if somebody is a Christian, this new life should be marked by an obedience of God’s Word, and an increasing love for God and for others.
(7) The Lord’s return and life after death : The Lord Jesus Christ will return personally and visibly in glory. He will raise the dead and judge the world. Those who have put their faith in Him will be raised to share eternal life with God forever (Heaven), while those who have not trusted in Christ in this life will be separated from Him forever in the life to come (Hell).